Friday, August 8, 2008

Whats in a Name

A fellow blogger posted a similar blog and challenged me to do the same..Just a little history of how our names came about. Thanks for idea Beth.

JOHN WAYNE

What a cool name! His fathers name is Wayne and his grandfathers name was John so put the to together and obviously it is John Wayne. Most people do call him by both names and sometimes JW. Krayca on the other hand is a mystery.. We think its origin its Czech and when I have went to google and learn about it, there is very little. NO one ever pronounces it correct!


MELISSA ANN

I have been told that I was named after the song "Sweet Melissa" by the Allman Brothers. The song is about a Gypsy who wanders along thru life. I of course love the song and always turn it up when I hear it. I feel like it was written just for me. Ann is my mothers middle name as well. I really have never had a nickname. I despised MISSY growing up. Some people will call me MEL and I don't mind that.

GABRIEL VAUGHN

I liked Gabriel and also like Trayce quite a bit. Both names were on the dry erase board in the delivery room. When I saw his little face , he was definitely an angel so Gabriel it was. There was no particular reason Vaughn became his middle name. I just liked it and have also always been a big fan of the actor Vince Vaughn. He started a Montessori school at two years old and one day I picked him up and he was Gabe.. At first it bothered me because I didn't plan on calling him Gabe and how dare they just take it upon themselves to change it....but now he prefers to be called that.

JACKSON WAYNE

This little boy was a challenge to name.. I thought how cool would it be to be John Wayne JR.. since its a family name and again such a cool name. We had a few warnings from other JR's about the trouble and annoyance it can be to have the same exact name when it comes to legal documents and mail etc... John didn't really care if his name was John but really wanted to carry on Wayne.. I actually wanted to name his Brooks Wayne Krayca and John preferred Jackson Wayne.. He thought Brooks sounded like a girl name but I thought it was less common because I only had just met a Co worker named Brooks. The name was popular in 1974 1975 and has died off...Also my grandfather has done a whole lot of research of our family beginnings and come to find out my great great great ( i actually dont know how many greats) grandfather was JOHN JACKSON HAGGARD SMITH. So there is some heritage to his name as well. I really didn't realize it but there are a whole lot of Jacksons running around right now. O well..just one Jackson Wayne Krayca as far as I'm concerned. He goes by a lot of nicknames right now. Jack , Baby Blue, Chunky butt, Stinky, ROlli Polli.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Love it! You even did last names. So cool to hear about how the names all came about.

Mindy said...

I'm glad Beth started this challenge! It was fun reading about all the names.